Importing archived WMV videos into SageTV’s “My TV”
Posted by onlydarksets on January 12, 2009
I have a ton of archived TV shows recorded in Vista Media Center that I processed with DVRMSToolbox (i.e., removed commercials, converted to WMV, and copied over all of the metadata), but they didn’t fit in well in Sage’s “Videos” structure. After converting a few shows using SageMC, I realized that you can have pretty much any video file type show up in “My TV”, so I spent some time figuring out how to migrate all of these shows using a VB script.
Turns out you can access most of Windows Media Player via WSH, so that made it pretty easy to grab all of the metadata once everything was loaded into WMP – you just have to know where to look. The XML layout for the Sage Webserver is pretty well documented, although the source code to Andy’s excellent MigrateMCtoSage utility made it much easier to figure out the bare minimums. The hardest part was actually finding the XML writer for WSH.
Note that this should also work for AVIs, which is the other main container format supported by WMP. However, AVI tagging is pretty abysmal in WMP, mostly because it doesn’t write the tags back to the file. I have found a couple of apps to do this, but nothing I would wholeheartedly recommend.
Backup you wiz.bin file before proceeding – you need to shut down the Sage service to do this properly.
- Download and unzip CreateVideoXML.vbs
Optional: Open in a text editor and edit the output and temp files
- Import your videos into WMP and clean up the metadata
- Run CreateVideoXML.vbs
- Open Sage Webserver and import the resulting XML file (by default: C:\Playlist.xml)
- Check the Import TV files box
- Check the Overwrite Existing Show Information box
- Check the Overwrite Existing Sage TV File Information box
- Check the Use imported Airing data to determine startTime option (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
- Uncheck everything else
After import, your videos will show up under “My TV”.